Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Flat Creek Cheese


Amazing Blue from Flat Creek

The search for Georgia’s unique foods has taken me to some really unique places that I don’t think I would’ve found otherwise.  The hunt for Georgia cheeses lead me to the town of Swainsboro and a hunting/fishing/farming property called Flat Creek Lodge.  Sprawling over 2000 acres (200 of which in ponds and lakes), Flat Creek jumped into the cheesemaking business head first, importing cheesemakers from the Cheese Head state of Wisconson.  The farm is producing some amazing varieties from farmhouse to cheddars, blues to proprietary cheeses like Thai Basil and Aztec with cocoa and peppers.  My favorite was an as yet unnamed semi-soft variety that I suppose you would classify as a “stinky” cheese.  Delicious.  Flat Creek's cheeses are starting to find their way into some of the State's better gourmet shops and eateries and if they're not in your area yet, ask for them.  They're truly worth seeking out. 

One day old Jersey cow - a "New Jersey"!

If you’re in to fishing or hunting at all, this would be a really unique getaway for you and a handful of friends.  I did a little fishing while we were there and managed to catch four small-mouth bass and a couple of catfish.  One of the catfish was about 3 or 4 pounds and was quite vocal during our time together.  As I awkwardly jimmied the hook out of his mouth, he protested with a strange grunting noise that I interpreted to mean “Hurry Up!”  I’m sure he went straight back to tell his buddies about his encounter with the skinny guy in the green Shins t-shirt.

Preparing an herbed cheese for aging

From Swainsboro it’s off to Darien (one of my favorite stops along the coast) to stowaway on a working shrimp boat.  We have to get up at 4am to join the crew for a 10 hour day of shrimping.  Time to get some Dramamine.  I’ve not been on a boat for any length of time since Norway in ’99, but I’m somewhat notorious for motion sickness.  I can’t tell you how many road-trips left me doubled over on the side of the highway or over the side of a boat losing my lunch.  No fun.  Let's hope the Dramamine works!

Off we go.  Much to do...Gesundheit! 

Hans





No comments: